Thursday, March 17, 2011

Caution: Spicy Food Causes Runny Noses... and 3rd Dates

So... after me and IT's awesome first date, Sunday we text all day and talked about how much fun we had, how easy it is to be around each other, how comfortable we feel just lounging on a couch together... And then he used the words that hurt no matter how invested anyone is in any kind of relationship: "keep my options open". He thinks its silly for him to jump into a relationship so soon after ending his last. I agree with him: I don't want to be the rebound girl. But I also think that if things are going right, and both people feel such a strong connection, then why not explore what could come of it. Don't get me wrong... I am not looking to rush into anything myself. Yes, I know that we had only been talking a week. Yes, I know we barely know each other. Yes, I know we only hung out once. But am I completely open to the idea of not making anything "official" as we learn more about each other without dating anyone else? Definitely. (and for the record, of all the dates I've been on, I haven't felt this way AT ALL.) However, after hearing him say that he wants to explore other avenues, I played it cool and told him, "That's fine. As long as you know that I'll be doing the same... And I'm the best that's out there, so good luck finding someone better ;)"

So with that said, we both agreed to take it slow and see what happens. Aka, nothing has changed in our conversations and he eagerly planned a date with me for last Friday. We both said how much we were looking forward to seeing each other again. He came to me this time around and took me out to dinner... And the best part: he INSISTED on coming to get me at my house. He said it would be silly to bring two cars to dinner. (Double bonus points were just earned between coming to my town AND picking me up.) Also, as we were discussing where to go, I gave some suggestions and he said he felt bad that it's HIS job to plan the date and he doesn't know the area. So we narrowed it down to cuisine and I mentioned something about the two Thai places we were deciding on. He ultimately chose the one I hadn't been to and offered to pick up a bottle of white (for me) and a bottle of red (for himself) on his way.

Mom must have asked about 145 times that week if she was going to meet him. I wasn't sure the answer until he was literally 20 minutes away when I text him what his feelings were on the matter. He said, "Unless your dad wants to meet who's taking his little girl out, I'm not quite ready to meet the family. Is that ok?" My response: "OF COURSE!!!" There was no way in hell that I'd want him to walk into my house with both dogs barking, Mom, Dad, sister, her fiance, brother, and his girlfriend sprawled out throughout the living room eating dinner. That was wayyyyyy too intense. When I made it clear to my family that they were all to stay inside, future brother-in-law said he needed to get something from my sister's car and brother made some comment about a night stick he had laying around. Mom just pouted in the corner while Dad told her to back off. Sister and bro's girlfriend were content, sitting back on the couch, probably knowing that they'd wind up being the first to meet him anyways.

So off we went (without any shadows lurking in the windows... that I could see) and had a fabulous time. But before we get into the date details, can I say that I tried to be a little extra girly and rocked my 4" black peep-toe heels? I never wear them because a) I'm clumsy, b) I walk like I have a stick up my ass, c) I'm clumsy, and d) I WILL fall down. But he's 6'3" and I have SIX whole inches to play with there. So I wore them... And almost busted ass walking down the DRIVEWAY. He held my hand on the walk to the restaurant... out of sympathy, I think.
IT: "I feel bad. Did you wear heels because I said I was wearing a button-down?"
Me: "No, I wore them to be cute. How's it working out for me?"
IT: "Let me hold your hand. It looks like it's your first time wearing them."

... or something like that.

Get to the restaurant, sit down, can't stop talking and flirting with each other, and the waitress has to come back twice to see if we're ready to order. We order the Thai sampler (have no idea what's in it) and our meals. For dinner I get the Pad King with chicken, medium spice. IT gets the duck special with kiwi. When the appetizer comes, he decides we should name all the mysterious foods after the Americanized version of what they look like: pigs in a blanket, rice krispie treats with a shrimp on top, empanadas, and sausage. Dipping sauces: honey and skippy peanut butter. I love how fun and random he is!

(*FYI, I was warned by my sister and her fiance that "medium" spice at this restaurant = SUPER, DUPER SPICY. I told them they were weenies and IdowhatIwant.) Then dinner came... Yeah, my mouth was on fire. I loved it, but when your nose is running on a 2nd date, you're not quite sure if the 3rd will even happen. Luckily, IT loved the duck so much that he gave me a warning that if we were out again and duck was on the menu, he'd be ordering it. (Guess that 3rd date is looking pretty promising, even with snot dripping down my face.)

Conversation was flowing so was the wine. We talked about so much and at no point did I feel uncomfortable or that we were lacking in conversation. Our sense of humor is so similar: dry and witty, and we're just SUCH ball-busters that we play so well off each other. IT even quoted me from some text I sent him that day and told me that I really do make him laugh. He pulled out his phone, scrolled up in our messages to the text he was referring to, and the biggest, genuine, most adorable smile popped up as he laughed at what I wrote.

After we had dessert, we narrowed down our choices for post-date activities (me going home wasn't an option) and decided on heading to meet up with a friend of mine when she told me that she and her date were going to be at the local hotel bar around the corner. We left the restaurant, me clutching onto his arm for the first 100 feet before I decided to go barefoot and walk much more normally.

...Aaaaaaand fast forward to 2:30am when IT dropped me off. I was tired, semi-buzzed, smiling, and knew I had to be up early for the St. Patrick's Day parade in a matter of hours.

So here we are, Thursday, almost a week after our 2nd date. As the week goes on, things are still going strong. I have even gotten some messages that have caught me off guard, in a good way:
~Monday night, right before bed, about 10 minutes after he had already said goodnight: "Btw, I like u. A lot. Bye!!!!"

~This one came at bedtime on Tuesday. Earlier, I asked him if he'd be interested in hitting the bar one night to drink some beers, eat some wings, and spend some time teaching me about the ins & outs on basketball, specifically the Knicks, his favorite team: "As if I wasn't attracted to you enough. Sweet god. Yes!" And then he said goodnight with this message: "I like you a lot. Even more than yest. Nighty"

~Then this one was yesterday when we were both signed onto Plenty of Fish at the same time:
IT: "you might as well sign off PoF. Not gonna find anyone better than me sweetness."
Me: "I already told you I'm the best, but hey. I'll let you figure that out."
IT: "I have a pretty good feeling ur right ;)"

~And then today, minutes after we both get done with work, my phone rings:
Me: "Heyyyyy you"
IT: "This isn't good. You have me thinking about you as I wait for you to text me back in the mornings. Then I think about you all day at work and can't wait to call you as soon as I get out."
Then we talked about each other's plans for the next couple nights and then discussed Sunday some more, which was going to be the next time we were going to plan to see each other, and made definite plans. I was out doing some errands and got back to my phone to see five messages from him saying that his plans for the night changed and that he wants to see me tonight, if possible. I had already had plans with my girlfriends for her birthday/St. Patrick's Day drinks, but I could meet up with him when I was done, as I wasn't planning on staying out late anyways. Turned out that I'd be done too late and the hour drive would be a drag for him, but the fact that he made the effort to try to make it happen meant more than anything. So our next date will most likely be Sunday after I get home from a girls trip to Atlantic City Saturday night.

To be continued... ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous you snagged such a good one on POF. Does he have a brother? ;)

    What Thai restaurant did you go to? There is a great one on rt 10 that my co-workers and I go to a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwww... yes, he has a brother... who's 21 and has been with his girlfriend for about 2 years. we went to Sirin! so yummy!

    ReplyDelete